Local News and Information Archives for 2023-02
Giving your home a more modern style may be more attainable than you think. One common approach is to use light and dark color combinations throughout your interior design, from paint colors to light and dark wood choices (usually on cabinets or floors), furniture, and even carpets or other décor items. If you’re interested in creating a fresh look for your home, consider the following approaches to using dark and light hues to modernize your living spaces.
Take a Walk on the Dark Side
Dark bold pieces or accents give any space depth and a traditional feel. For example, painting walls with dark colors allows art and other objects to stand out. Generally, dark colors like black thrive when paired with neutral tones. Together, these combinations can create a more inviting and comfortable space. Having darker colors in homes is elegant, moody, chic, and sophisticated; most importantly, they always stay in style.
Bring on the Brights
Adding white or light-colored furniture can make a room look more spacious, open, and airy. Painting walls or cabinets white allows for a blank canvas, which can then be the base for creativity to shine through. Using white as a base gives leniency to play with other colors to stand out.
Combine Color like a Pro
Combining dark and light colors can also create an appealing space with a sense of organization and order by following the 80/20 rule. According to the American Institute of Interior Design, “As long as 80% of your interior is unified by the same style, period, or philosophy, you can deviate with the other 20%.” Using this rule, combining dark and light colors creates a contrasting design and allows for substantial flexibility for accessorizing or accenting with a mix of colors to tell a story.
Find more inspiration to modernize your home design at the 56th Annual Tri-State Home Show coming to the Chattanooga Convention Center February 24th-26th. For more information about the event, visit homeshowchattanooga.com
2023-12 | 2023-11 | 2023-10 | 2023-09 | 2023-08 | 2023-07 | 2023-06 | 2023-05 | 2023-04 | 2023-03 | 2023-02 | 2023-01 | 2022-12 | 2022-11 | 2022-10 | 2022-08 | 2022-07 | 2022-06 | 2021-09 | 2021-08 | 2021-07 | 2021-06 | 2021-05 | 2021-04 | 2021-03 | 2021-02 | 2021-01 | 2018-02 | 2018-01 | 2017-12 | 2017-11 | 2017-10 | 2017-07 | 2017-06 | 2017-05 | 2017-04 | 2017-03 | 2017-02 | 2016-10 | 2016-09 | 2016-06 | 2016-05 | 2016-04 | 2016-03 | 2016-02 | 2015-03